Monday, February 7, 2011

What's for Dinner Tonight

I had eggplants in the fridge, grown by my friend Rhiann, and many little Lebanese Eggplants in the garden. I had to use them soon, so I'm thought,I'll do an Eggplant Lasagne.

I think we need to eat lot less meat.We eat it most days, and I don't think that it's a good idea, but I'm also trying to eat more protein. So I'll add beans.

So this is what I came up with, and it was delicious:

Angie's Gluten Free Eggplant Lasagne (Makes 6 big serves with leftovers)
Ingredients:
3 medium sized eggplants(or equivalent in Lebanese eggplants)
800gram tin of Tomatoes
3 Tbsp of Tomato paste
A large bottle of Tomato Puree (about a litre)
400 gm tin of haricot beans(drained and rinsed)
2 tbsp basil pesto(or you could just use basil)
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 cup of ricotta cheese
1 cup of cottage cheese
1/2 cup of finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
2Tbsp cream
Gluten Free lasagne sheets

Start by slicing the eggplant about 1cm thick. Heat the oven to 200C. Place the eggplant slices on a baking tray that has been sprayed with oil.Then spray the top of the slices. I don't salt and rinse the eggplant when it is young and tender. Cook for about 15 minutes.

Start the tomato sauce by sauteing the onion. When it has softened add the tinned tomatoes,paste and puree. Let it cook for a few minutes then add the beans and pesto.Season to taste. Let it simmer for at least half an hour.

Mix the cheeses and cream and egg ina bowl.If the consistency is too thick, add some more cream or milk.
Assemble the lasagne like so:

Cover the bottom of you lasagne tray with tomato sauce. Follow that with a layer of lasagne sheets. Then top that with more tomato sauce and a layer of eggplant. Top that with more sauce and then finish with the cheese mixture.

Bake in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.

It was delicious and well received by the whole family. And there's even leftovers for my lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment