Sunday, July 10, 2011

Beautiful (Sugar Free) Breakfast


I find breakfast a bit of a tricky meal when it comes to being sugar free. I'm used to muesli (quite sweet if it has dried fruit and honey in it), cold cereals (also high in sugar), gluten free porridge(yummy, but not great without a bit of brown sugar or honey), or toast, especially with apricot jam or marmalade (about 50% sugar).

So, I have to re-think breakfast as a meal. And this is a beautiful substitute:


Gluten-free sour dough toast with sauteed mushrooms, wilted spinach, a sprinkle of Seaweed Gomasio (organic dry roasted sesame seeds with seeweed and sea salt) and a sprinkle of micro greens (coriander).

It only took minutes to prepare and cook, and was worth the effort.

Today I had the same bread toasted, but this time one piece had vegemite and the other I had with some sharp cheese. Very nice.

I will now have to stock up on mushrooms, and think about other things to have for breakfast.

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of bacon (I like it occasionally), and I don't eat eggs - they made me sick as a child, and I just haven't been able to go back there, unless they are disguised in cakes, or quiche or custard. I wish I did like them, they are so high in protein and so versatile. Alas...

What do you eat for breakfast? Any ideas for going sugar free?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie
    I so wish I could go sugar free, but just don't have enough willpower at the moment! Your brekkie looks so tasty - I just love mushrooms! Few other suggestions for a sugar free start, how about avacado on toast? Or french toast (the eggs are sort of disguised in that). I also love to chop mushrooms up really fine, mix with a little grated cheese and worchestershire (not sure of spelling!) sauce and pile onto toast and grill. Or what about peanut butter, with sliced tomato and black pepper on toast?
    Good luck with it all - I reckon sugar is as addictive as nicotine.

    ReplyDelete