I love that this dish is cooked in the oven, it's so easy. Served with a green salad or just some steamed broccoli - delicious.
This recipe serves 4. I usually do one and a half the recipe to feed our big family.
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
8 Chicken drumsticks or thigh pieces with the bone in.(You can also use thighs without the bone, but the cooking time may be decreased and you'll need to check on the dish after 25 minutes.)
1 chopped onion
2 garlic cloves,chopped
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons of mild paprika
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp chili powder (I sometimes leave this out)
400gram can of tomatoes
1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine, or verjuice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Heat half the oil in a large oven proof dish. Brown the chicken pieces. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil and cook the onion,capsicum and garlic for 2 - 3 mins.
- Add spices and cook a further minute.
- Add wine(or verjuice),tomato,stock and rice. Then add the chicken.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook 45-50 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
This is a lovely warming dish. Great for Autumn and Winter evenings. Everyone loves it in our family. And it is even better the following day if you are lucky enough to have left-overs.
What are your family's favourite meals? I'd love to hear about them.