Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Economic Doom and Gloom


Why did the economic downturn have to happen now? When I am having time away from work, hoping to stay home for years with my baby? I have the comfort of knowing that my job is there for me, but I don't want it just yet!


I hate listening to the news, it really is so gloomy. I suppose we all need to know about it, but it is just depressing. The recession will cause a depression, and I am not talking about the economy. I really feel for Callum's generation.They have never had to worry about unemployment, for the last 5 years it has been a boom time, and they have been told there weren't enough people to fill the vacancies. It is a different story now.I knew it couldn't last, but didn't expect it so soon.


We are lucky that Mike has the kind of job that will always be necessary and he can't be put out of work, it is the same for me, but the way that this downturn affects us,is that we are having trouble selling our only extra asset, a block of land, which is what will pay for most of our mortgage, so that I don't have to hurry back to work.


At one time, the block sale would have financed my time off,paid our mortgage out and then some.Not anymore! Hindsight is a wonderful thing - we should have sold it 3 years ago....


I am not complaining - we are very comfortable, and we are lucky enough to have an asset to sell. I think it will sell eventually, but maybe not as fast as we'd like.I really feel for the families that are losing their income, their homes and lifestyle, it would be so hard.


I guess we have all been living the high life for too long and we'll have to simplify, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment