Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 2 of the Whole 30.

Day two and I seem to be sticking to it. Hurray!

I started the day with a simple breakfast : tomatoes and bacon cooked in ghee, served with half an avocado. Michael had his with an egg.

I was busy in town all morning, and by the time I bought a few groceries, it was lunch time, so I ate a small bunch of green grapes on the way home.

Lunch was a simple garden salad with tuna and a little mayonnaise. I followed that with a cup of tea (with a dash of milk, so I suppose I'm not 100% sticking to the Whole 30) and a nice chunk of the Paleo slice.

I think that may have seen me through to dinner time, because I don't remember eating anything else.

Dinner was a delicious Mexican style meal, I guess it was kind of Tacos, but instead of taco shells or tortillas, we used iceberg lettuce for shells.

I've been concerned about the seasoning we have used in the past - the packet variety- so decided to make my own. I searched the Internet and came across a recipe that I tweaked. Here it is:

2 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
2 Tb cumin
2 Tb dried oregano
1 Tb garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt

I mixed it altogether in a jar. This was the perfect amount for the 1 kg of kangaroo mince I used.

This is what I did:

I sauteed a large red onion (finely chopped), with half a large chopped red capsicum, and two tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley in about two tablespoons of lamb tallow and a tablespoon of ghee(Kangaroo meat is very lean), then I added the meat and browned it. I also added a large grated carrot and a large grated zucchini. Then I popped in half a large jar of tomato paste. You could add more if it doesn't look right. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes, then tasted it. It needed more salt, so I added about a teaspoon. The vegetables provide enough moisture, so I didn't need to add any water.

I have to say it tasted really good and the whole family enjoyed it, though it was quite spicy and the kids needed a glass of milk to go with it.

We ate the meat mixture, wrapped in lettuce leaves with cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, sour cream and guacamole. I omitted the cheese and sour cream.Still delicious, and really filling. I had two filled lettuce leaves and felt quite satisfied.

I think I might have a nice cup of green tea or herbal tea to end the day.

Let's see if I can do another 28 days. I'm up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment