Monday, January 16, 2012

I Think it's day 10 of the Whole 30, and I might have slipped!

Well, it was only a tiny slip, but one none-the-less.

I made gluten-free buttermilk pancakes for Charlie for breakfast, and had one myself. They had no sugar in them, and I think the buttermilk (being a fermented milk product) is okay, and the ground almonds, but I did use some gluten-free flour which is made from corn and rice, which are both grains.

So I slipped, but you know, I am almost totally clean other than that, and I think that's something.

I went out for book-club yesterday, at a cute little cafe to have afternoon tea and I managed to only have a mineral water and a cup of tea. And it didn't bother me in the least. I don't actually miss sugar anymore. I don't actually want to sabotage my diet (for want of a better word). I know my body feels so much better on this way of eating, and the bonus is that I am losing weight.

And I'm really please that my children are starting to embrace this way of eating too. I think the key is to have foods they like (which are not grain and sugar based) available. I'm keeping the home-made yogurt stocked, plenty of fruit that they like in the fridge, and cold meat they can have for lunch, in a seaweed wrap, or with a big salad. I've pretty well stopped buying bread and so far - as long as I cook something for breakfast, they haven't missed it. I know it will be more difficult on work-day-school mornings, but I'm pretty committed, so I will keep trying.

I found that if we all sit down together at lunch time, lunch is made easier, so of course that won't be very easy once they are back at school. However, there are many ways to fill up a lunchbox, it just requires a bit of dedication and time and effort. They can take cold meats,hard boiled eggs, mini crustless quiches, zucchini slice, savory muffins (sans the flour) and of course vegetables and fruit.

I've ordered some Paleo cookbooks, so hopefully, I'll get some ideas from them. I can't wait til they arrive!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie, I am inspired! It sounds like this way of eating is really suiting you. I am a self confessed sugar addict, so have been following your story with interest. I think I might have to give the Paleo way a try too as I need to do something to get my energy levels back. Go girl! Hope you have a great 2012 xx

    ReplyDelete