Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Onions...

Image not mine - taken from Google
My lovely friend, Janine, gave me a box of onions yesterday, so I have been thinking about what to do with them.

I love caramelised onions - probably because the sweetness is brought out in them, but I wonder if that means they are too high in sugar for the Paleo way of eating? Oh well - too bad if they are, I'm eating them anyway.

I made a lovely caramelised onion quiche/frittata for dinner last night. Though I didn't measure things out precisely, I'll give you the recipe, as it turned out deliciously.

Crustless caramelised Onion Tart:

I used:
5 medium sized onions, a mix of brown and white, sliced thinly
1 heaped Tbs  virgin coconut oil
1 Tbs butter
5 small courgettes (or a medium sized zucchini would work) sliced thinly
3 spring onions, sliced (green and white parts)
8 eggs
about a cup of cream and one of buttermilk (but any dairy or yogurt would work)
A big handful of grated tasty cheese
salt and pepper

Start by melting your coconut oil and butter, add all the onions and let them cook slowly for about 20 minutes, this will bring out the yummy sweetness. Then I added a dash of balsamic vinegar, mixed it in and transferred to a baking dish.

Then I sauteed the courgettes til they were slightly browned, and transferred them to the baking dish. I sprinkled that with the spring onions and cheese.

In a bowl I whisked up the eggs, cream and buttermilk. I gave it a good whisking until it was frothy as I wanted to make it airy and silky (and it was). Pour that over the onions, cheese and courgettes. Pop it in the oven at moderate heat for 30 -45 minutes.

It was really delicious and the whole family enjoyed it with a side of broccoli and cauliflower.

I realise now that it probably doesn't fit with the "whole 30" as it has dairy in it, but I'm actually quite happy with a little bit of dairy in my life. I still think it is Paleo as it has no grain, no sugar, and no legumes in it.

Now I'm on the hunt for other onion recipes - I wouldn't want to waste them. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment