Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Whole 30 Continued, and Life Goes On...

It's day 6 now, and although I can't say I've stuck to it religiously, I can safely say I pretty much have. The only thing I've had, that maybe I shouldn't have, is yoghurt.

As my fabulous Traditional Chinese Practitioner says, "Yoghurt isn't really diary because it is fermented and so good for you".

I woke feeling a bit off colour yesterday,my head aching and my tummy uncomfortable ( a virus I think, as Lily has been complaining of the same thing the last few days.) I don't think it's due to the Whole 30, because my diet is pretty much the same as last week, but I really felt the need for my home-made-full-of-good-bacteria-yoghurt. So I'm eating it again.

Other than that I've been really sticking to the guidelines.

I turned down a glass of wine at the beach the other night. It would have been lovely, but instead I went for a long walk with Charlie. Much better for my body and my liver. I've been suffering from dermatitis on my hands - it gets very itchy and it always seems to happen whenever I drink wine and cider. The Chinese perspective is that it causes "heat", just as sugar does, which will give you trouble with your skin.

I still have a headache, and I'm hoping it will buzz off soon.

I think the whole 30, and the Paleo way of eating is great.

Reading Gary Taubes book, "Why We Get Fat". It's really interesting - there's a great deal of science in it, and I'm yet to get to the bit about what we should be eating, but much of what he says about carbohydrates - particularly the refined, grain kind, is in keeping with the Paleo way of eating. I'm continually amazed at all the scientific information that supports the Paleo/Primal way of eating and show the Standard Australian(or American) Diet to be full of flaws, and basically what is killing the Western world with modern day diseases.

Now, if someone could help me wean the children off all the refined carbohydrates that they enjoy, then all would be well...

But, life does goon and it isn't easy to tell your kids they have to stop eating all their favourite foods, especially during school holidays. But I am going to do it gradually. I'm phasing out bread and all the naughty baked goodies, and will endeavour to use gluten free alternatives whenever I can. I know it won't be easy, but I do think their health will benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment